The intent and purpose of the Planning and Economic Development Department is to provide accurate, timely land use information, assist the general public in matters of planning and land use regulations, and serve as ombudsman for coordination of site related issues and topics.
Our department represents all citizens of the Town of Colonie in planning for generations of the future to live, work and enjoy the natural and built environment of the Town.
- The administration of land use regulations, staff support to the Planning Board, Significant Environmental Areas Management Appeals Board (SEAMAB), and the Town Board on matters of planned development districts, zoning district modifications, and other planning related local legislation.
- A repository for Town records regarding commercial and residential development actions, services to the general public regarding land use regulations and processes.
- Planning is involved in the preparation of long range planning issues such as the development of the Town wide Comprehensive Plan, Land Use Management Technical Report, subdivision regulations, Generic Environmental Impact Statements, the creation and revision of new and existing local laws and rezoning recommendations.
- Provide information to the public on the location of wetlands, floodplains, protected watercourse areas, and other types of planning and/or project related information.
- The Planning and Economic Development Department interacts with the Colonie Industrial Development Agency to assist in the retention and creation of jobs and tax base within the Town.
- The Conservation Advisory Council (CAC) maintains the Town's open space inventory, promotes interest in the environment through bulletin board displays, public relations, and educational presentations. The CAC supports efforts involved with the acquisition of environmentally significant properties located within the Town and also works with the Environmental Services Department to coordinate and assist in the Town's Hazardous Waste Day.